Friday, December 14, 2007

I would never say that!

"For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he..."

We had had one of those tense mornings; where no one can find their shoes, someone still has homework they forgot to do, and we can't miss the bus, because Mommy doesn't have time to make the trip to school today. I wasn't very patient or proud of the way I handled the morning.

Finally, the kids are all settled on their buses, and I'm on my way to Chemistry. I am thinking a little; praying a little...and I have this major realization (which, in reality, was an answer to my praying.)

When I am with someone else's children, I am on my "best behaviour." I am more patient, and more forgiving. Now, I know that some of that has to do with me not being responsible for how they turn out in the end; but it also shows that I believe something I would never say out loud.

The thing I would never say is that I can treat my children poorly because they are "mine." I can be on my worst behaviour in front of them because, since we live together, they get to see the real me.

You know what my realization was? They are NOT mine!

I'm picturing this scenario:

A father is dropping off his children at my house in the morning - for me to babysit. I'm dressed and ready when they show up. I'm cheerful and pleasant; the house is clean and welcoming. While I care for these children, I'm patient and even spend time teaching them some good behaviour, or correcting some bad choices.

Add a video camera to the scenario. How much more concerned would I be with my actions throughout the day, knowing that this loving father would be catching up with his children's day via video later on?

This isn't just a scenario - this is what I am doing every day. These are not my children...they are God's children. He is always watching me care for them, and I'm surprised he has not replaced me yet.

This thought - this answer to prayer on my way to class - is staying with me. I wanted to share it as I can see how much it has affected my daily life - for the better.

Anyone can be on their best in front of visitors...but's where it really counts is in the home. I'm thankful for God's patience and correction in my daily life.

No comments: