Friday, December 14, 2007

The cure for inconsistency?

Wow - what a great week this is turning out to be! Sometimes, the most stressful of times are the times of highest growth.

Through more praying, and listening, I think I have realized the root of my inconsistency. It is another one of those beliefs I'm holding. Another one of those that I would never say out loud, but have obviously been holding as truth.

It goes like this, "From now on, I will...."

Or, "Every day, I'm going to..."

You know what? Habits don't start that way and they don't go away that easily. I wrote something down in my Bible once:
"Habits are too weak to be felt, until they are too strong to break."

So, here is what I realized. I can't take these bad habits of mine, and declare them gone. I can't decide, in one moment, that I will do "this, this, this, and that" differently. I have to make this decision each morning!

Last night, I made a list of all that needs to be done; the many things I have been neglecting around here, and the everyday things that I don't want to be lazy about.

Then, I decided that just for tomorrow, I would diligently work through my list, and not just let the day go by. I even included my exercise, and some down time, on my list - because those things are important, too! (Just in the right doses, right?)

Tonight, when getting ready for bed, I am going to do this again...and commit that "just for tomorrow," I will have these good habits.

My pastor told me once, that a well-lived life is built one day at a time; made up of a series of daily making the right choices.

My problem arises with trying to see my whole life all at once. So, for today, I will be thinking about today. Tonight, I will prepare for tomorrow, and look forward to living just that day. And, one day, I hope to look back upon a series of well-lived days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog entries. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. So true.