Monday, December 4, 2006

End of martyrdom.

So there's this thing that happens when life doesn't go your way. You turn into "someone else." It's not your fault though! You are not really that complaining, nagging, angry lady.

Wrong!

I have learned that my circumstances don't make me who I am...they reveal who I really am! When you take an impulsive girl like me and shut me up in a house to do the same thing day in/day out, some ugly things can happen. But that ugliness was already there. The first step to getting rid of it is to be thankful for where I am - right now.

The learning and growing happens when life gets hard. I can groan and moan over this paper route (7 days a week, before the sun gets up, rain, snow or shine) but then I have to stop and look at my husband who gets up almost every day and goes to work all day on a roof. Hopefully he is leaving with a lunch I have made him and some hot coffee...but he'll go without it if he has to. This kind of experience can really cure a wife of needing to "teach" her husband where the laundry basket is. You know what? Throw your socks on the floor honey...and let me rub your back for an hour.

Some great things I have gotten this week:

Playtex Living rubber dish washing gloves - Hot Pink: We need to take care of our hands! The inspiring pink-ness of these gloves sets them apart from the others. Dishwashing only!
Boring old yellow is for all the other jobs.

An AirLite Corn Broom: This is so much better than the synthetic brooms I have been using. I have broken two broom handles so far this year and they come unscrewed while sweeping which can be quite annoying. This corn broom (from WalMart) is doing a great job, has a broad sweep and is STURDY! I also bought a larger - indoor/outdoor - corn broom for use in the basement and on the porches.

And, speaking of gloves...in the first aid section you can find plain white cotton gloves. I have been wearing these for most of the day and also during the night. This is a great way to heal hands that have not been wearing hot pink dishwashing protection up until now.

So, maybe Mommies should get early morning paper routes...if they have a martyr to kill that is.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Hi! Came your way by "The View From Here" blog. I just wanted to ask what you mean by public homeschooling. I was homeschooled most of my life and I've never heard that term used before. Anyway, have a great evening! :)

Jen said...

Well, we have exclusively homeschooled for the past 11 years and this year we are "using" the new local public school. I practically live there and am so involved and refuse to say I'm no longer "home" schooling, you know? I am still my kids #1 teacher! We have just chosen some people and a place away from home to help us out for now.
Thanks for asking! :)